Forum Clock: 2024-09-08 22:04 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camavinga pt. II
FCK.

While not a prospect with a whole lot of buzz, media and fans were intrigued as for what reason led centreback Abdoulaye Camavinga to send out this rather cryptic message on Twitter a few days ago. Was it an abbreviation? A swear word censored for internet security? Had he just completely lost his mind?

Hours later, things looked more understandable: He hadn't gone on a tirade, but rather signed with the South African SSL expansion team FC Kaapstad. The newcomers added Camavinga shortly after he put out his feelers to his agent about possibly playing in the SSL. Kaapstad is looking forward to its inaugural season in SSL's Division 2, therefore they took a heavy gamble on adding and playing a young defender like Camavinga. So far, he hasn't done terribly bad - although both Kaapstad and himself showed in preseason that there's still a lot of work ahead of them.

"I want to prove myself to the world out there. I know it will take some time, and there's a certain learning curve involved to get adjusted to the business of pro football," Camavinga said. "But in the grand scheme of things, I want to show that I can be one of the premier defenders in this league. If I put in the time and the effort, that's something I can achieve."

FC Kaapstad will start out the regular season (and their entire history in a way) with a matchup against this season's other expansion team, Uniao Sao Paulo. Both teams already faced off once in the preseason, with Sao Paulo coming out on top in that friendly matchup. Kaapstad and Camavinga, whose opponent scored once in that game, will have to increase the effort to find a footing in the league right from the get go. It's a cold world out here (well, not particularly in South Africa to be fair) and you have to fight for your living.