Forum Clock: 2024-09-08 22:08 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jailbird - A Vercetti story - Season 3, Chapter 1 Words - 662
His off-season, even more so after that Shield game his team lost, mostly ran around a single thought - how to keep things as they were, continue the streak. The season wouldn't be all that bad if they were able to even stay on the top tier but the real goal had to be getting another star, right? Winning it once was a delight, winning it again would probably be even more rewarding.

And then, the two losses came. Clearly, something was very much up. They caught up and surpassed them. Rather, he himself had been far too lenient in those two weeks. It was time to go back into action, the season had properly begun. Best to avoid a dire fate in the second division, he thought.

As such, he found himself walking down a busy street in the local Koreatown. Ginger and Jiro happened to come along for sightseeing.

Ginger: Are you sure about this?
Squall: I believe it'd be beneficial. Besides, as long as they don't try to break my leg, I think I can take it.
Jiro: Wait, I thought you were able to fight, mister.
Squall: Well, I was self-taught. And this isn't so much about learning how to fight.
Ginger: ...Squall, that's literally what they do over there.
Squall: ...Yes, but I'm here to improve my kicking and my reaction time.
Jiro: Taekwondo helps, then?
Squall: Indeed. That and I believe they'll humour me if I ever have to justify myself... Ah, here we are.

He pointed to a sign featuring the symbol from the flag of South Korea, some characters in Korean and then the words Taekwondo School wrote in English as opposed to the more common Japanese. As the trio entered, he could hear a child saying something and then a myriad of children reached out to him, asking several things and clearly showing signs of joy before an older man appeared, decked in full dobok to properly host the three, sending the children away in the process.

Squall: Ah, good morning, sir. I came here to see if I could start learning Taekwondo.
Ginger: Wow, Squall, that's the most respectful I've ever seen you be.
Do-yeong: A master always appreciates the respect of a prospect. If my students aren't wrong, I believe you're the center-back for Tokyo.
Squall: I presume you follow the sport, then, sir?
Do-yeong: Yes. Though I obviously prefer Seoul, I'm appreciative of your interest. Now, what makes you, a professional footballer, stand right here?
Squall: Well, you're not off in the whole football bit, sir.

The trio was then guided to another room, where they could sit and talk.

Do-yeong: To use Taekwondo in football...
Squall: I hope you don't see it being insulting or anything of the like. Rest assured that wasn't my intention.
Do-yeong: It's no bother, young one. I just never thought about it myself. Most of our students learned it for reasons of tradition. We do get a foreigner here and there, obviously, the "natives" aren't very keen on stepping here but I've had to teach some in the past. Still, those were usually just curious about it after the Olympics or really wanted to learn self-defence.

The old man sighed.

Do-yeong: Your proposal is intriguing. Granted, I've heard about a movie where someone used Kung Fu instead, I can imagine that a professional footballer wouldn't goof around with such a concept.
Squall: Well, yes. Granted I genuinely like the idea of just learning Taekwondo, my current reason is very much football-based. That and I feel I haven't worked hard enough lately. We won the league recently, yet our start out of the gate was bad. I know I can't solve everything but if I can be this remarkable, competent player, hopefully, I can impress the rest of the team into performing better themselves.
Do-yeong: When's your football training, then?
Squall: 8 to 4.
Do-yeong: Be here at 5. I'll be teaching you some specific moves and if you're still keen in learning everything, then we'll move on to proper teaching. Is that good enough for you?
Squall: Yes, sir.

He nodded, smiling.

Squall: Perfect.