Forum Clock: 2024-09-08 22:10 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Waiting Game for Kevin Zimmer
Hurry up and wait.

That’s been the process so far for Kevin Zimmer. The initial anticipation and excitement of filing for the Season 6 Simulation Soccer League Draft has passed, but more time remains until the draft takes place as the league schedule still rolls on.

“What is it the song says, waiting is the hardest part?” says Zimmer with a laugh. “I’ve been working hard to prepare for the draft and the upcoming season, but it’s been pretty quiet waiting for more information so far.”

Zimmer understands this is part of the process. With plenty still on the line for SSL teams – whether it be championship glory, promotion battles or fighting to avoid relegation – he’s not surprised that his phone has been largely silent.

“I haven’t heard from many teams, just one or two, but I didn’t expect to while the season was still ongoing,” explains Zimmer. “They’ve got bigger things to worry about right now at season’s end than which kid they’re drafting. There will be a time and place for those conversations, and I look forward to it, but we’re not there yet.”

Zimmer also says the process will be unlike anything he’s ever gone through while developing as a soccer player.

“It’s going to be weird, the draft process. Up until this point in my career, whether it was me or guys I was playing with, if you were good enough, you’d get the opportunities, the spots on the academy teams, the tryout invites, the scholarship offers for the guys who went to college.

“Now, look, let’s be real, I can be the best midfielder in this draft and there are probably four clubs that aren’t even going to look at my info because they already have one of the best attacking midfielders in the world. I can’t blame them!”

Until then?

“Just keep working,” says Zimmer. “As excruciating as the wait is, the big day will be here before we know it.”