Forum Clock: 2024-07-03 20:07 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jailbird - A Vercetti story - Chapter 5 (X-Mas) Words - 563
Narazaki: I never quite got what this Christmas holiday is supposed to be, kiddo.

As Christmas Eve clouded the cold air of Tokyo, Squall Vercetti found himself having a hard time explaining it to his old friend. In truth, Squall held the holiday dearly, it was the date the Orphanage usually had their finest foods after a couple of weeks of obviously holding back due to the expenses of gearing up for a Christmas dinner. Now, as he prepared himself mentally for a Christmas party thrown by one of his teammates, 'that Soderberg chick', he had to admit the day itself meant little to him by practice. But he'd be wrong if he didn't at least try to sell it to the blind man as something better than just another bunch of hours.

Vercetti: It's... it's meant to be a holiday where everyone gathers as a family to appreciate each other instead of fighting.
Narazaki: ...Well, that's worthless to me at the moment. And you?
Vercetti: Same, ever since I can remember. Dead mom. Dead dad. No siblings. You could say the orphanage was a family but that'd be... "overvaluing" their relevance.
Narazaki: Still, you don't sound like you hate them.
Vercetti: I don't. I actually liked that life a decent bit. Not amazing but I could've had far worse.
Narazaki: Told them that yet?
Vercetti: 'Course. Sorry for not putting the usual 'buy Narazaki some bread' rule first today.
Narazaki: Eh, trust me, kid. You still have something, might as well make the most of it.
Vercetti: Yeah. I also have a party with my teammates but I dunno if I'll enjoy it too much.
Narazaki: You don't like 'em?
Vercetti: They're fine but I'm not, that's the issue.
Narazaki: Just be yourself, kiddo. They're used to that, ain't it? If you're yourself, they'll probably like it. Or not.
Vercetti: Yes, but it's Christmas, old man. I don't wanna make a bad impression or ruin stuff.
Narazaki: You were gonna ruin it either way by how you sound. Your mindset is something unique to you and probably to your team, you should bring it either way. If they have a crap Christmas gathering, that was something that would happen whether you kissed ass or not.
Vercetti: That's true.
Narazaki: It is because I know better. Also... what's this thing?

The blind man struggled with a panettone. Vercetti chuckled.

Vercetti: It's an Italian type of bread called Panettone. It's a bit big but it's basically a fruit cake but more bread-like. Let me just unwrap it first.

After a quick unwrapping, Narazaki took a bite and smiled.

Vercetti: So... this is the taste of Christmas.
Narazaki: Brazilian Christmas, to be precise. Was gonna go for the Chocolate-laden one but I think that'd just give you toilet troubles for the rest of the year. Can't have that, y'know?

The two shared a laugh until he resumed eating. Eventually, once he was done, the old man got up, flashed a half-toothed smile and bowed.

Narazaki: Happy Christmas, kiddo. Hope the party's fun.
Vercetti: Heh. Trust me, seeing you happy is probably the best gift of this holiday.
Narazaki: Oi, don't get too sappy on me, kiddo. I can clean up whenever I want.
Vercetti: Sure, old man. See y'around.
Narazaki: Damn right.

The old man left with a pretend grumpiness attached to him but the Canadian was pleased. He didn't know how to handle the Christmas party still but he did leave feeling a bit better. Like he had done something good for once.