Forum Clock: 2024-09-09 03:44 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S16 Draft Recap: A look at team shapes and how their draftees might fit
As a new player to the league I am lacking a lot of useful context to assess the predicted value of the prospects recently selected. Similarly I am in the dark on what roles are most precious to the clubs making the picks. In an effort to remedy both I wanted to take a look at the recent draft along with the formation of each organizations major and minor affiliate and try to judge based on the draftees position and traits how they might fit in.

Some limitations to call out specifically
·       Things change. Clubs aren’t locked into these formations. Players might re-roll.
·       I’m naïve. I don’t know the meta, I don’t know the players. I’m just looking at how a puzzle piece might fit. I won’t be able to provide much insight on the quality or scarcity of those pieces.
·       Shape and traits aren’t everything. Shape in particular without team and player instructions only tell part of the story. I’m going to be speculating on the team strategy from the shape, similarly with the player concept from the traits.
·       I make mistakes. A lot of this data was manually collected and cobbled together. Apologies for any mistakes or if the graphics trigger.

Anyway, here we go:

[Image: image.png]
22. ACR Tom Edwards - RAM (LAM, ST) || Cuts Inside From Both Wings || Shoots With Power
A wing forward designed to cut in from both flanks looks like a great fit for either of the inside forward roles used by both the minor and major clubs for this organization.

2. CFCat Ilya Prusikin - LWB (RWB, LB) || Looks For Pass Rather Than Attempting To Score || Gets Forward Whenever Possible
A flank defender will always be useful. It appears this club has a preference for one wingback advancing with another inverting into the back line. This pick looks like they would prefer the attacking variety creating width and lobbing in crosses for the team.

3. HFC Alexandros Mograine - RWB (LWB, RB) || Plays No Through Balls || Marks Opponent Tightly
A defensive minded wing back. There is some variety in the formations and roles employed by this team at times using forwards to create width, but it appears they still would like their wing backs to support the buildup which this pick can do in a conservative fashion.
6. HFC Duncan Walrusson - GK 
Goalkeepers will always be highly valued for any club.
12. HFC Evan Hunt - CDM (LWB, RWB) || Dictates Tempo || Uses Outside Of Foot
From the traits we can assume some sort of deep lying playmaker, which could fit into this structure either in the defensive midfield or one of the wing backs.
18. HFC Devon Wagner - LAM (CAM, LM) || Dictates Tempo || Tries Killer Balls Often
Traits again suggest something of a playmaker, useful to help join the buildup if positioned in the attacking midfielder strata with an otherwise sparse midfield. 

1. USP Beaklie Eilish - CD (CDM, RB) || Brings Ball Out Of Defense || Plays One-Twos
A center back with ball playing skills seems like a good fit for this club (or any really). Maybe a little bit of concern just how far forward plays one-twos suggest the defender might want to get and how to cover that with other roles.
7. USP Zyqwarndalethron Velstrazyn-Smith - CAM (CM, CDM) || Moves Into Channels || Places Shots
An attacking midfielder capable of using their positioning to create and take advantage of opportunities. To me this looks like a club still trying to determine their midfield identity, and this sort of skill set would definitely be useful in an attacking role.
13. USP Olivier Victoria - RM (CDM, RWB) || Dictates Tempo || Shoots From Distance
Traits suggest a playmaker from the midfield flank or defensive midfield, but one that would like to sit on the edge of the box not fulfill a holding role.
15. USP Eric Belmont - ST (LM, CM) || Plays Short Simple Passes || Winds Up Opponents
A striker with an emphasis on putting the ball in the net, something any team could use. The secondary positions could work with a midfielder looking to help dominate the midfield predominantly.
19. USP Jan Van Doorne - RWB (RM, RB) || Tries Tricks || Plays One-Twos
An interesting contrast with the earlier right sided midfielder. This player’s traits suggest a preference for running forward with the ball. With both players being locked to a role on the right side it will be interesting to see how these pieces fit together.
31. USP Mant Craig - RAM (CAM, ST) || Tries Killer Balls Often || Places Shots
Traits suggest a versatile attacker, another player with a preference for the right side, but this time clearly in the forward strata.
?. USP Ryan Kirkpatrick - RAM (RM, RWB) || Marks Opponent Tightly || Curls Ball
A more defensive minded player on the right flank. With a serious haul of picks going to USP its interesting to see how these pieces might adapt, they each have their own profile leaving the team with many options. The current major club formation shows a willingness or even preference for generating a strong asymmetry in shape.

9. RKV Santos Neymarinho - LAM (RAM, ST) || Tries Tricks || Uses Outside Of Foot
Traits suggest a creative winger. The minor and major clubs each show a different use for that position, but I think this sort of skill set could go a number of directions.

5. BA Sterling Scott - ST (CAM, RAM) || Places Shots || Tries First Time Shots
An attacker, with traits suggesting to me a preference for the striker role. Always needed.
10. BA Bérangère-Amandine Bruère-Estrangin - CD (LB, RB) || Dives Into Tackles || Winds Up Opponents
An aggressive defender. Can be a great asset if the remaining defenders can cover in the case of getting beaten.  
17. BA Nicolas Corrigan - CAM (RAM, CM) || Runs With Ball Often || Looks For Pass Rather Than Attempting To Score
A midfielder capable of creating threats with their dribbling and a clever pass. Could work in the attacking midfield role of Athenai, maybe not quite as clean a fit in the current Buenos Aires role set, but it appears these clubs are willing to adapt their formation to the personnel.

4. TSC Fernard Rivest - GK 
Always useful, can see why it earned a high pick.
14. TSC Anthony Lee - CDM (CAM, CB) || Dictates Tempo || Tries Long Range Passes
Traits suggest a deep lying playmaker type role, could be accommodated by either club easily with some minor revision.
16. TSC Puma Superhoops - RWB (LWB, RB) || Runs With Ball Down Right || Gets Forward Whenever Possible
This seems like a great fit. A wing defender which will join the attack and create width. Appears necessary with both clubs having their wing forward in roles which prefer to come inside.
20. TSC Zeki Al-Turkis - LM (RM, LB) || Marks Opponent Tightly || Dictates Tempo
Wide midfielders don’t appear to be commonly used at the moment, but these traits suggesting a wide player who will put in work defensively and contribute to the buildup would definitely provide value with some minor revisions to either position or clubs formation.
28. TSC Mario Presuntti - CM (CAM, ST) || Likes To Beat Opponent Repeatedly || Dictates Tempo
A central midfielder with an eye toward getting on the ball and drawing and hopefully beating a crowd in the midfield. Could create some fabulous highlights and hopefully open a lot of space for the other forward players, but might be a risky playstyle.
?. TSC Freja Ekholm-Gunnarsson - CD (CDM, RB) || Brings Ball Out Of Defense || Likes To Switch Ball To Other Flank
A defensive role with traits suggesting an intention to participate in the build up though likely being willing to hold and help recycle in deep possession. A good skill set to have, and likely always needed by clubs.

8. SFV Spike Shaftwell - RM (LM, CM) || Looks For Pass Rather Than Attempting To Score || Dives Into Tackles
An interesting mix of positions and traits. Maybe a fit for the box to box role, at the moment would need to move away from the wide midfield position preference which is generally less common in the league.
11. SFV William Williams - GK 
A keeper, always a great selection.

What have we learned?
* There's a good amount of variety in the league so its likely at least one team can accommodate the player concept you had.
* Keepers and defensively minded players earned many of the top selections. These important roles are always needed.
* Currently there seems to be a preference for utilizing a high press shifting their midfield players forward shape wise. This would make a holding role very necessary and might mean fewer opportunities for wide midfielders.

But this relied on a good deal of speculation and thing are fluid and can change going forward. In any case hopefully this snapshot of the clubs lineups was useful in some way, it did help me form a picture of the league. But what did I get wrong let me know if I missed any key trends.