Forum Clock: 2024-07-12 00:29 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Deep Lying History
In football, there are multiple roles for any one player to play, be it an Advanced Forward, a flashy Trequartista, or even a bruising Central Defender. Every player, despite position, is vastly different from one another. Ronaldo isn't the same winger that Adama Traore is, Erling Haaland is not the same as Harry Kane, and so on. These key differences are the very intricacies upon which the game is built, and I'd like to focus on one of my favorite roles: The Deep-Lying Forward.

A Deep-Lying Forward lurks deeper than the typical striker, looking to play others in rather than play in a hyper-advanced role. I personally enjoy this because I like the ability to either take matters into my own hands and score when necessary but also excel at seeing the game unfold at the head of the attack and play a perfect-through pass to a rampaging winger. It seems similar to how Nikola Jokić plays basketball, at the center (get it?) of the play but possessing the vision to dish it out to an open shooter. It feels like a jack of all trades that just calls out to my personal type of playstyle.

The history of the Deep-Lying Forward as we know it now arguably started around the 1960s as before then, it was largely relegated to being an attacking midfield role. They became more aggressive versions of a False 9, looking to be more of a scoring threat and not dropping as deep. However, they weren't nearly as advanced as most strikers, thus giving the rise to the name Deep-Lying Forward. Some of the greatest strikers that fit in this role are Wayne Rooney and Lionel Messi, though one could argue Messi played more of a False 9 role, dropping even further back and making some of the world's most historic runs.

All in all, this role has historic significance and some of the best players in football history have played this role. It is the awe of watching these players that have led me to create my player, Miroslav Ketil, in this mold. This role fits who I want him to become, and encapsulates my favorite pieces of attacking football.

CODE
364 Words