Forum Clock: 2024-10-03 04:59 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking the triangle, the prelude to the storm.
Ok so its been a few weeks and I'm finally theoretically done with the intro into "how to break the triangle". The problem at this point however is that the last bit will require either a supermassive post full of abstract concepts or pictures that break up the pace and blow up the space taken. the problem with this is doing a conversation of overlaps, underlaps, overloads, while also working in some other concepts that I've read and really like about soccer tactics would require a lot of pictures alongside meandering explanations of things like bubble physics in relation to the influence of players in regards to zonal marking systems.

What occurs to me while I'm making this however is that this would work a lot better in a power point presentation. I can have a table of contents that people can skip through slides to get to more interesting ones. This is going to be a lot larger project than anything I've done so I'll recap things in my breaking the triangle series with this one and next week we're going to get the power point and the week after that I'll probably just do a "TLDR how to tactic" summary.

So above all formations, the basic part of a tactic is a shape defensively with the plan to attack into that shape offensively.

The prime principles of soccer is penetration, width, support, mobility, and improvisation. In all things keep these terms in your mind.

Geometrical relativity is something you're just going to have to develop when playing football manager. Understanding shapes is just something you're supposed to learn in school at some point but applying that knowledge to fm is easy once you learn to see the shapes.

A triangle is a great shape. Definitely top 3 but not the goat (the square and circle are top 2) due to its critical weakness. once you threaten one angle of the triangle it collapses entirely to become a line, not a shape. A square is a superior shape due to it being a collection of triangles that even if two angles are threatened you retain a level of dynamism because it requires a 50% increase in resources to get to the point where it collapses while also allowing for a diagonal line. this also means you have at least 50% more outlets to pass to. But what is a square or any other shape other than a collection of triangles?

A topic that needs to be kept in mind is the value of a role in making the player perform the best vs a role that will make the team perform the best. A winger will never be a best 11 in a world where inside forwards as well as inverted wingers contribute assists and goals so much. But a worse player in a winger role will contribute in an outside manner of their talent in a tactical contribution to the teams attack.

The spots you put your players in a tactic is not your formation nor your shape. The movement that their role tells them to make as well as the toggle of defend, support, attack, cover, defend, stopper, these are the things that make the shape of your players. You can easily find what this means in the data hub in fm 22 or through a menu here or there in earlier ones. (I'll have a picture in the PowerPoint on this)

Underlaps are when a player from a previous line (wingback going ahead of a midfielder) moves ahead of the player in a line forward of them. Underlaps are when they go "under" or inside that player in regard to their relation to the center of the field. An Overlap is when they go "over" or outside that player in regard to the relation of the field (this will be in pictures)

The thing you are trying to do is to get the ball at one of your players feet inside the other teams box with them being able to face the other teams goal. You don't need fast players to do this. You don't need physically gifted players to do this. But it sure does make it easier.

And if anyone is curious yes I'm going to use ms paint and google docs for it beacuse it works. If anyone is interested in how to make easy powerpoints for college or highschool for good grades just ask and I'll walk through that process. That being said I can also easily walk people through making a podcast if anyone is interested in that as well. This was made on grammerly.com.