Forum Clock: 2024-08-03 05:37 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaapstad Prepares for Division I Fight Not Expansion News, I Know, Sad
After two seasons, F.C. Kaapstad has joined Division I of the Simulation Soccer League.

With a second place finish in Division 2, the South African side gained promotion to the top tier of the SSL. After a sluggish start, Kaapstad went 5-1-1 in the final seven matches of the season to fight its way to second place in the table.

The club joins fellow Season 5 expansion squad Uniao Sao Paolo in the top division, avoiding what will undoubtedly be a more pressure-packed fight for promotion in Season 7 with the addition of A.C. Romana and Red Star Laos as the latest in the expansion wave.

However, Kaapstad will have to make some moves of its own to prepare for the upcoming season. Kazenga LuaLua and Lochlann O’Rourke have now been traded to Reykjavik United, leaving question marks for Kaapstad’s lineup next season.

LuaLua’s departure opens a void in net for Kaapstad as they prepare for the upcoming season. LuaLua had three clean sheets for Kaapstad in Season 6, placing second in Division 2 in that category as well as save percentage.

Lochlann O’Rourke tied for second in goals in Division 2 as a rookie in Season 5, finding the net on six occasions. However, his sophomore season saw a drop in production with two goals, as Ari Nagatoro led the club in goals with five.

Presumably, Nagatoro will continue to spearhead the offense for Kaapstad in Season 7. O’Rourke’s departure may open the door for more playing time for the likes of Kevin Zimmer and Joshua Suarez, who played sparingly as rookies in Season 6. Zimmer had two goals and an assist, showing some promise.

The goalie departure, however, will be harder to alleviate. Unless they can lure a keeper in free agency, they will hope to land one of the netminders in a draft class that is currently limited in that department. This could prove to be the weak link in Kaapstad’s hopes of staying in Division 1 if they cannot find a solution this offseason.