Forum Clock: 2024-09-09 03:40 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How soccer news travels among nomads On Muunokhoi Sarantsatsral's drafting
The news came by horse and motorcycle, by friends, and by family, as good news that needs to travel fast should.
My brother Odgerel - I still call him that instead of by his stable-name in Japan - was watching for news of the soccer draft in Tokyo. His message went to my brother Monkhbat in Dzalaa, where there is usually enough signal to receive a text message on a clear day.
Monkhbat's phone beeped. He read: "Pick 2! Accra. Tell brother I love him and good hunting in Africa!"
He got on a borrowed motorcycle. This news was light as dreams next to the supplied he brought for two gers.
He rode, mostly south.
At Sa-i-su he gave half the supplies to friends at their ger and stayed the night. They celebrated his news, and added well-wishings to his own, and to Odgerel's. In the morning, he mounted his horse, well rested during his trip to Dzalaa, and rode further south, toward China, but not quite.
He ate dried mutton when he paused, drank mare's milk. Tended to his horse's needs and wants. He continued.
And finally, farthest to the edge of Mongolia, Monkhbat and his horse arrived with their news.

I was waiting, with mother, with father, with all our animals. Here where I was born, at the ger in Tu-tzu-han-su-hai, but where I had rarely lived. For a nomad, a nostalgia to return here to await news to change my life. After learning soccer and wrestling, moving to Japan, failing at Sumo and learning better soccer, I, Muunokhoi Sarantsatsral, was to walk a path to be among the best soccer players in the world.

"Brother sends his love, Muunokhoi. And I come with congratulations from him and from Sa-i-su."
I did not interrupt .We are nomads: things travel quickly like eagles when they need to travel quickly, but mostly they travel slowly like herds. And I am also now a goalkeeper. Things of consequence travel toward me, and I catch them. Like this news.

"Accra. Number 2 overall! Africa must like you, brother!"

I am humble and I think with slowness, always. Back in Japan, I researched. Many teams lack a good second goalkeeper. I know this. Few goalkeepers are thought to be ready for the top divisions. I know this too. These things would make me in demand, never mind that Mongolia is far from any soccer known to these divisions.

Still.

"Number 2..." I was the second player chosen, and the last to know of his choosing, because I wanted to receive the news here. "@FaraDian said it could be high. Accra must see something in me."

My parents smiled their smiles at me. For the second time, I would go to a world almost alien to their experience. First Japan, now Africa.

"We will watch the stars tonight, Muunokhoi. And in the morning after tomorrow, you will go to your new world."