Forum Clock: 2024-08-02 15:59 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing Werner's Corner by Werner Herzog
Hello, I am Werner Herzog, director of films, author, sometimes actor. As I am German and there is now a German team in the SSL, I’ve been asked to share some of my thoughts about the game of football. Of course, I have lived in Los Angeles for many years and so am familiar with the team located in Hollywood, California. They have been very successful in the SSL, which is extremely important to Americans. Still, it is nice to see an SSL team coming to Germany, where the people are rabid for football. It is bittersweet that it is at the cost of the team in Accra, Ghana. As a young man, I attempted a sojourn into Africa but was turned back after falling very ill. It is a difficult place to live, so it would also be very difficult to maintain a football franchise there, nearly as difficult as building an opera house in the Amazon, I am sure.

I knew very little of football as a young man, though it was one of the few fun activities we could undertake in our small village in the Alps. We had no toys, we had no tools, but whenever a sheep died, one of the men in town would inflate the bladder for us to kick around. In this way, football has always represented freedom and fleeting joy, but which could only come from death. So it is fitting that one team had to die for another team to play, and I wish this new team the freedom and joy I once experienced in a remote German village. May they last in Germany longer than I did.

And if people continue to ask, I shall offer more of my thoughts on the game. You could call it Werner’s Corner, because people like things that rhyme or almost do. - WH
[Image: S10.png]

I look forward to an ongoing series of random famous German people expressing their SFV fandom.