Forum Clock: 2024-09-09 03:15 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Look at the British Isles as an Internation Team
So the irl World Cup is around the corner. And after reading the CPT#4: Representing Your Nation prompt I thought it would be a little fun to take a bit of a deep dive into the logistics and stats of SSL footballers on the British Isles. So I scoured through the Index and decided on a few metrics with which to evaluate players. Then split the teams for a nice friendly match (mostly because the numbers worked out perfectly).

Over in the left corner, in the steel grey trunks we have Team Indy. This team consists of all the varying degree of independent “nations” that make up with UK and Ireland (minus Northern Ireland see below). Team Indy is stacked. There’s a great mix of veterans and younger players. First off the back line. There’s 4 defenders over 1000 TPE. I have to think (outside of the Americans, who have like 5 pages of players on the index) this is the best backline in the league. International team or club team. Lead by Cairo defender Ask Jeeves, not many teams are going to be able to score on them with Deedee Toker, Cole Mertz, and Eirlys Snooks helping. And call out to whatever is in the water in Wales. Apparently it’s all about defense there. Unfortunately the midfield and forwards are not as impressive. Both areas of the field have about half the TPE as the defense. But that doesn’t mean Irish studs Gavin Millar (Inter London) and Locklann O’Rourke (FC Kaapstad) can’t create the opportunity to make something happen.

user posted image

Over in the right corner in the steel blue trunks with have Team England (and Northern Ireland). Unfortunately, there’s not a lot to be said here. Much of the English team is young and does not match well. The brightest spot is Hollywood defender Gerald Gerrard at 1150 TPE. Outside him, only 4 players break 700 TPE and two of them are 701 TPE (as of 11/12 when these numbers were pulled). Two of those over 700 TPE players also play defense, meaning the best part of Team England is the defense. All three goalkeepers come from England as well. All 3 play in Division 2 and the two “starters” seem to be about average for a goalie in club teams.

user posted image
user posted image

A friendly between these teams would be an amazing throwback to 80s football. Both teams playing some sort of 5 defender formation, in the rain and mud in the beautiful Inter London stadium. But the game, while physical, is ultimately a boring defensive snore fest. With the best playmakers being defenders, balls are launched over the top just hoping to get lucky. Team Indy comes away 1-0. But I think this squad would do well as a whole in an International Tournament (however that would happen here). There’s depth in defense and midfield among both teams. If anyone wants to compare another country (or group of countries) feel free to drop the avg TPE of a squad of 11 and see how it matches up against these two.
[Image: 4MiVV8l.png]