Forum Clock: 2024-09-08 23:03 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jailbird - A Vercetti story - S4C1 Words - 670
As the whistle flew, Squall let out a sigh of reprieve. Their effort was just enough to make sure Tokyo would go home with the three points. A tight result by all accounts but enough to satisfy every one in their journey towards another title if all rocks fell just right. As he packed his things back on his way to the hotel, he found himself accosted by the police, however.

The way he saw it, he could assume some things: least likely of those that they were fans. What he imagined had to be the case was that they needed to check with him about a case on his parents. He knew they had ties to the mafia back when he was born and that said ties were enough to make it so he was an orphan plus he himself had a background of small crimes so maybe they were gonna make him pay a fee, something he probably could afford though he wasn't keen on doing. Then again, he had been in the United States every now and then so it didn't make too much sense for him to have to deal with them now all of a sudden.

They could've also been crooked cops and that would probably end very poorly, though he was certain he'd make it poor for them as well. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. He was guided into a room and soon found himself being politely questioned by a gentle Interpol agent.

Agent: I believe the LAPD has already informed you why you're here, correct?
Squall: Sadly not, though I hope I'm not at fault.
Agent: Not at all. You've been clean for the past couple of years as far as we're concerned. As for your family...
Squall: I'm not aware of any remaining family members I might have - the only ones I knew were my parents and I believe it's common knowledge that they were murdered in a rightful sting operation.
Agent: Well, you obviously have more family members and they're not too far off from where your parents went. So we need you to tell us if you have any connections with them. If they ever approached you or anything of the kind.
Squall: Not at all. I imagine you'll want to check through my personal belongings or anything of the like but I really haven't had any contact with them. I even found it kinda weird that they wouldn't reach out even when I'm in the media spotlight like I've been ever since I started playing professionally.
Agent: Well, yes. We've already searched through your belongings but we suspected you might've changed them.

Squall sighed but shrugged. He knew better than to mess with someone of that standing anyway.

Squall: Fine by me, I didn't lie anyway.
Agent: Yeah. In any case, you're to keep in touch on the off-chance you do get any news from them.
Squall: Well, anything to help the law. Though why are you guys looking for them, if I may ask? Like I didn't think my family were anything besides bit criminals.
Agent: That's because it's actually the case inside your immediate family. However, there is one particular distant member of yours who has been acting as an assassin to a dangerous international mob linked to a Serb division that has gone underground after the Yugoslav wars.
Squall: So like a hitman of sorts? Wild but I suppose I'll reach out to you guys if he contacts me.
Agent: It's a she. She's a third-degree cousin called Lorelei Vercetti. We've reached out to all other family members that remain alive but the response was very much similar. Alas, our mole said that she's been planning on quietly retiring by hiding under a sympathetic relative's eye.
Squall: I see. So you'd think she would try to hide with me.
Agent: It's all speculative.
Squall: Well, fine. Who do I inform if it happens?
Agent: You'll receive the number soon. Reach out to it as soon as you find it at your home.

Squall nodded and went on his way. His surname was indeed haunting him again.