Forum Clock: 2024-09-09 03:51 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, Jude #5: Greer Debuts in Crushing Cairo Loss
VIENTIANE, Laos -- The away locker room at the Vientiane Complex was a quiet one Sunday, as the weight of Cairo City’s heavy opening-day defeat to Red Star Laos weighed heavy on everyone’s mind.

After a scoreless first half, Laos and Cairo traded quick goals shortly after the break, and it seemed as though the second half would see action aplenty at both ends. Instead, Laos took full control of the match thanks to a hat-trick from forward Pat Taytow and a dazzling free kick from winger Zizou Lopta, leaving the final scoreline at 5-1 in favor of the hosts.

The mood among the Cairo players was best summed up by rookie wingback Jude Greer, who was in an uncharacteristically deflated mood following the match.

“That kinda sucked,” he said frankly. “I know I made a couple mistakes that might’ve led to a goal, but man…losing this bad just hurts, man.”

Greer helped provide the Pyramids’ lone entry on the scoresheet early in the second half. Following the opening goal, a Cole Mertz header from a cross by fellow rookie Ivica Knezevic that opened Laos’ account on the evening, Cairo found themselves breaking from the kickoff. Right wingback Arnošt Hlemýžď took possession of the ball and delivered a floating cross across the goal box to Greer, who headed the ball into the path of Zlatan Ibruhimovic for an instant equalizer from short range.

“I saw Z [Zlatan] making a run, and then I saw the ball coming at me,” Greer said. “I’m not usually great at headers, so I tried to send it inside so he could finish. I guess it worked out,” he added, his trademark grin surfacing for the briefest moment.

With plenty of soccer left to play this season, the opening loss may not ultimately have any lasting consequences, but as any Arsenal fan will attest, such a lopsided scoreline can take its toll psychologically. Still, Greer said he’s keeping an eye on the big picture.

“We gotta pick ourselves up and go again,” Greer said. “We got our asses kicked today, but there’s thirteen more games and a cup to worry about. We’ll get our own back soon, you watch.”

(363 words)
[Image: f3PLeZn.png]