Forum Clock: 2024-10-21 16:44 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The attacking defender 8: dude where my double CAR
So one of the things that I think people need to keep in mind when I talk about "a defending attacker" is that you still need to figure out a way to score goals. Wingers on IF-A or IW-A do a lot of this as the PF-D drops so far back and draws in a centerback. What this opens up however is you not being able to deal with the kind of superstar wingbacks that superteams can afford. This is where Double CAR comes in.

The carello is a very interesting role to me. Its a very hard role to describe without having knowedge of other FM roles. A mezzala and a CM-A, both popular midfield roles, like to move forward and be apart of the attack or be that 5th attacker in a double pivot. A mezzala on support will still do this but will stay back a lot more in order to provide more of an outlet for passbacks, think an AP that doesn't have the playmaker coding in it. However one problem with a mez is that it opens up the midfield to counterattacks, if it has no wide support. What a CAR does is almost like a mezzala on defence, but with a focus on those wide areas left open by a winger. Now I know some of you out there are thinking "But isn't that what your wingbacks are for?" And then you've discovered why double CAR isn't as popular.

However a very interesting thing happens when you have a PF-D, it works just like a wildly inverse half back. The CAR will spread out further leaving them in the half spaces between midfield and the flanks. This is important as it allows them to pick up moves to those sides in between the wingback and winger, while allowing them to drop to cover the inside easily when on the counter. This is important as, just like the inverted wingback (Which will come in a later part don't worry it gets wilder than you possibly think) you don't need pace then as the CAR becomes incredibly space efficient for how far the player needs to move to retain relevancy in situations.

If you don't know what I'm working to I'll save you some time. We're going to have a tactic in the end with IF-A's PF-D CAR IWB all dancing across the field efficiently in a mad waltz. Its incredible to watch I'm telling you and its good I think. Compact in defense, wide in attack, press heavy, solid defensive shape, with a forward-developing attack that has options when the forwards can't break the line on their own.