Forum Clock: 2024-09-08 23:01 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, Jude #2: Greer Makes Academy Debut
VICTORIA FALLS, Zimbabwe -- At least one corner of the visitors’ locker room was bright following Stockholm Idrottsklubb’s 3-2 loss to Victoria Falls Eagles on Thursday.

“That was unreal,” said a beaming Jude Greer, who had played the full 90 minutes of the match at left back for SIK. “I knew this was gonna be different to playing back home, but still…I can’t believe I just played professional soccer.”

Despite being on the pitch for the whole match, Greer saw limited opportunity to distinguish himself, as most of the Eagles’ more potent attacks came down the opposite side of the field to the Nashville native. Still, though, on the occasions when he was called into action, the former Sewanee player acquitted himself well, laying off short but accurate passes to his attacking and midfield teammates.

SIK struck the first blow quickly, thanks to a beautiful free kick from just outside the goal box courtesy of Antoine Dembele-Mbappe. The goal put SIK up 1-0 in the third minute, and it seemed as though SIK were set to cruise.

“Antoine hit a really nice kick, and we got a good lead to start, so that was awesome,” Greer said. “We probably shoulda capitalized on it better than we did, though.”

Indeed, despite the early deficit, Victoria Falls struck back in swift and fierce fashion, as goals from David Wiggins, Julian O’Sullivan and Dohg Innim brought the scoreline to 3-1 in the hosts’ favor by halftime.

Greer was quick to take responsibility for the second goal, which saw him marking O’Sullivan before the Eagles forward drifted into the center, where he received a pass from midfielder Jay Cue and fired home.

“I was trying to keep track of him and keep an eye on the ball, but he just made a little move and got away from me,” Greer said. “The coaches said I did the right thing in holding position, but man, I wish I coulda stopped him from scoring that.”

As for the third goal, Greer blamed a miscommunication among himself and two of his teammates that allowed Innim to break away and score off of a far post header.

“Yeah, I think me, Jeff [Jeffrey Fourmile] and Miro [Miroslav Ketil] sort of lost track of who was supposed to be marking that guy,” Greer admitted, scratching his head. “Wasn’t really anyone’s fault, just confusing, I guess.”

After another O’Sullivan goal was called back for offside in the second half, fellow SIK newcomer Tom Cruise pulled one back for his team in the 82nd minute, heading home a well-placed cross from right back Breakfast Sandwich O’Pumpernickel. The Swedish academy club had a chance to equalize from a corner kick in the last few seconds, but failed to do so as the final whistle blew.

With the SSL draft fast approaching, Greer said he knows what’s at stake in these seemingly unimportant matches.

“It sucks to lose,” Greer said. “But I keep telling myself it’s about the big picture. I want to win these games, yeah, but I’ve also gotta keep focused on getting better. Once I get my shot at the big time, it’ll be worth it.”

(525 words)
[Image: f3PLeZn.png]