2026-09-28, 12:22 PM - Word count:
Back at it like a crack addict. I did similar predictions last season and it was fun to see how it worked out, so I'm here again.
Quarter Final 1:
Association Sportive de Paris vs Hollywood Football Club
Winner: Hollywood
Score: 1-0e
Paris is a powerhouse in the minors division 1, going up against Holleywood from majors division 1. This is the first of 2 majors versus minors matchups in the quarterfinals. I'm a little surprised it's 2 but I'm new here. Paris has been dominating minors division 1, with an impressive +12 goal differential and 23 goals scored (I have to note that most of that is from the 8 - 0 trouncing of North Shore [this will become a trend later in the article] and outside of that, they're "only" +4 GD with 15/11 goals for/against). Their cup wins have been close, with a 1-0 win over Buenos Aires and a 3-1 win over Tokyo. Notably those are both majors division 2 teams and now they're against a division 1 team. Hollywood is running a +2 goal different with only 10 scored and 8 allowed - against tougher competition - and currently sit third in the division. They've held their own with the big boys (draw vs Sao Paulo, W vs Shanghai) and play a low scoring style of soccer.
Given the general lack of success outside of the one big blowout, I'm worried about Paris's chances. They've put up goals against weaker competition, but both games against major division teams have been close. I think the Hollywood defense can handle the attack from Paris, and the same can be said for Paris's defense. In a low scoring game, I think it goes to extra time where a couple things break Hollywood's way and they sneak away with the win. I wouldn't be surprised at a narrow Paris win, either, but I have to pick somebody.
Quarter Final 2:
Unaio Sao Paulo vs Club de Futbol Catalunya
Winner: Uniao Sao Paulo
Score: 2 - 1
The Sao Paulo and Shanghai organizations both have both teams still alive in the quarters. Yay for them! This matchup is between the division 1 leaders (Sao Paulo) and the division 2-leading Catalunya team. This Catalunya squad has yet to allow more than 1 goal in a game so far this season (and have 2 clean sheets), but I think the Sao Paulo offense brings a little more to the table. They've scored 17 goals in division 1, second most of any majors team. The TPE edge also goes to Sao Paulo. I think Catalunya is a good squad but they're running into the best team in the entire league so it's an uphill fight. While Catalunya hasn't allowed more than 1 yet, Sao Paulo has only scored 1 or less a single time this season (a draw against Hollywood) - so that's the key to a Catalunya victory, holding Sao Paulo to fewer points than they've scored all season. Something has to give, of course, but it's a lot easier to believe in Sao Paulo than Catalunya.
Quarter Final 3:
Shanghai Dragons Football Club vs Liffeyside Celtic Football Club
Winner: Shanghai
Score: 3 - 1
Shanghai is coming off a 4 - 0 trouncing of North Shore, which somehow doesn't even rank in North Shore's 3 worst losses of the season. They also beat Liffey by a score of 4 - 1 earlier in the regular season, and currently sit in second place on the table. Liffey, on the other hand, still hasn't won a game the entire season and is currently sitting at a depressing 4 goals scored. Shanghai has allowed only 9 goals all season, second best in majors division 1 - it's hard to imagine the Liffey offense scoring enough to take the win here. Shanghai is also strong on offense and should be able to take advantage against Liffey's defense, which has given up 18 goals.
Quarter Final 4:
Club Deportivo Tenochtitlan vs Rapid Magyar Sport Club
Winner: Tenochtitlan
Score: 4 - 0
I'll be honest, I'm surprised Rapid Magyar made it this far. They're only 3-2-1 in the minors division 1, with most of their 10 goal differential coming off smashings of F.C. Kaapstad and North Shore United, two of the bottom three teams in the division. They took Reykjavik to extra time and won there in an upset after defeating Montreal United in the qualifying round. Tenochtitlan, on the other hand, was expected to make it this far easily with how stacked their roster is. They have only one starter under 1700 TPE: Dom Patterson, the forward, at 1506. In comparison, Rapid Magyar has exactly one (1) player with more than 1506 TPE, and it's Arsène N'Goussou, a midfielder. I don't think this game will be particularly close barring some real shenanigans and Tenochtitlan should be through. Rapid Magyar has a shot if they can continue to stay strong on offense and get shots on net, but they'll need to really lock in if they want that to happen.
Quarter Final 1:
Association Sportive de Paris vs Hollywood Football Club
Winner: Hollywood
Score: 1-0e
Paris is a powerhouse in the minors division 1, going up against Holleywood from majors division 1. This is the first of 2 majors versus minors matchups in the quarterfinals. I'm a little surprised it's 2 but I'm new here. Paris has been dominating minors division 1, with an impressive +12 goal differential and 23 goals scored (I have to note that most of that is from the 8 - 0 trouncing of North Shore [this will become a trend later in the article] and outside of that, they're "only" +4 GD with 15/11 goals for/against). Their cup wins have been close, with a 1-0 win over Buenos Aires and a 3-1 win over Tokyo. Notably those are both majors division 2 teams and now they're against a division 1 team. Hollywood is running a +2 goal different with only 10 scored and 8 allowed - against tougher competition - and currently sit third in the division. They've held their own with the big boys (draw vs Sao Paulo, W vs Shanghai) and play a low scoring style of soccer.
Given the general lack of success outside of the one big blowout, I'm worried about Paris's chances. They've put up goals against weaker competition, but both games against major division teams have been close. I think the Hollywood defense can handle the attack from Paris, and the same can be said for Paris's defense. In a low scoring game, I think it goes to extra time where a couple things break Hollywood's way and they sneak away with the win. I wouldn't be surprised at a narrow Paris win, either, but I have to pick somebody.
Quarter Final 2:
Unaio Sao Paulo vs Club de Futbol Catalunya
Winner: Uniao Sao Paulo
Score: 2 - 1
The Sao Paulo and Shanghai organizations both have both teams still alive in the quarters. Yay for them! This matchup is between the division 1 leaders (Sao Paulo) and the division 2-leading Catalunya team. This Catalunya squad has yet to allow more than 1 goal in a game so far this season (and have 2 clean sheets), but I think the Sao Paulo offense brings a little more to the table. They've scored 17 goals in division 1, second most of any majors team. The TPE edge also goes to Sao Paulo. I think Catalunya is a good squad but they're running into the best team in the entire league so it's an uphill fight. While Catalunya hasn't allowed more than 1 yet, Sao Paulo has only scored 1 or less a single time this season (a draw against Hollywood) - so that's the key to a Catalunya victory, holding Sao Paulo to fewer points than they've scored all season. Something has to give, of course, but it's a lot easier to believe in Sao Paulo than Catalunya.
Quarter Final 3:
Shanghai Dragons Football Club vs Liffeyside Celtic Football Club
Winner: Shanghai
Score: 3 - 1
Shanghai is coming off a 4 - 0 trouncing of North Shore, which somehow doesn't even rank in North Shore's 3 worst losses of the season. They also beat Liffey by a score of 4 - 1 earlier in the regular season, and currently sit in second place on the table. Liffey, on the other hand, still hasn't won a game the entire season and is currently sitting at a depressing 4 goals scored. Shanghai has allowed only 9 goals all season, second best in majors division 1 - it's hard to imagine the Liffey offense scoring enough to take the win here. Shanghai is also strong on offense and should be able to take advantage against Liffey's defense, which has given up 18 goals.
Quarter Final 4:
Club Deportivo Tenochtitlan vs Rapid Magyar Sport Club
Winner: Tenochtitlan
Score: 4 - 0
I'll be honest, I'm surprised Rapid Magyar made it this far. They're only 3-2-1 in the minors division 1, with most of their 10 goal differential coming off smashings of F.C. Kaapstad and North Shore United, two of the bottom three teams in the division. They took Reykjavik to extra time and won there in an upset after defeating Montreal United in the qualifying round. Tenochtitlan, on the other hand, was expected to make it this far easily with how stacked their roster is. They have only one starter under 1700 TPE: Dom Patterson, the forward, at 1506. In comparison, Rapid Magyar has exactly one (1) player with more than 1506 TPE, and it's Arsène N'Goussou, a midfielder. I don't think this game will be particularly close barring some real shenanigans and Tenochtitlan should be through. Rapid Magyar has a shot if they can continue to stay strong on offense and get shots on net, but they'll need to really lock in if they want that to happen.
