Forum Clock: 2024-10-03 08:21 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theme week + defensive attackers part 0
Might as well combine these 2. Labeling them separately so please read.

Theme week separate.

I'm thankful for ssl for being a low effort high output source of entertainment. I like football manager and I like thinking and talking about football manager. Sure things have never been great for me in the league but for every game I don't see horvat on a single highlight you get a game like this last one where my player does cool things.

Defensive attackers pt 0

So my next series I'm now inspired to do a "but why and what is going on" where I explore defender types of players and put them in an attacking role. Some are going to be more about Dutch style hyper possession and some are going to be more moneyball where I go through and show how to field a cheaper but more talent based team. One's going to be centerbacks vs defensive midfielder vs iwb. One is going to be me going on an unhinged podcast rant on deep lying playmakers that I'm going to do in one take completely sober and I'm just going to see how far I get. I've got a lot of stressful boring work in January at my job so I've got time to build up stuff to rant about.

I'm not going after the other team but in this last week we saw a Milan horvat being used out of position and out of logical reason as an advanced playmaker. Milan is not a playmaker, he has only average passing and has explicit traits to do short passes and to not to line breaking passes. Both are things that playmakers are "suppose" to do.

What we saw I think was the long prophesied and awaited "withdrawn target forward" from the cult of strikerless.

Long has it been for told of a forbidden tactic in football manager circles. That one day heaven would give onto its people the knowledge of how to have a tactic that doesn't use strikers. Shadow strikers have shown success but in the end are told to me distractions from the true tactic. What was needed was the "withdrawn target forward" that would drop back to receive but to explicitly use their physical presence to not be the one who pulls the strings but the one who arranges the blocks to put the ball into space for someone else to do dangerous things.

I have been explicit about my plans to be a defensive attacker going forward but this is something that needs more research and theory crafting. I invite you to come along. Or just give me pt points maybe.