Forum Clock: 2024-10-03 15:45 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Academy Task 5: Ben's Branding Thoughts
Team's logos and branding in sim leagues is something I've always had a lot of thoughts about. In the ISFL I have often made comments on the teams I think should rebrand in my offseason tasks. Over there I have been involved in the league since the start so I have more of an idea about how the franchises have evolved whereas this will be a completely fresh look at the brands in the SSL. Just as a first observation before getting into more detail I think overall there is a higher standard of logos and brands here than in the ISFL. All the logos actually look like football badges you might see in real life, I don't see any glaringly obvious rebrand candidates in terms of design. Obviously I don't know much about the history of the clubs and their success or lack thereof which is the other reason for potential rebranding (or for sticking with a strong brand). Please let me know if I have got anything wrong or if there's anything I'm missing that might explain my questions.

ACR AC Romana
I wasn't 100% sure that this team was based in Rome until I found the team information sheet. I've never heard the term Romana, from what I understand it's interchangeable with Romanian? I'm usually not a big fan of having sim league teams in cities that have far more famous teams already established, in this case obviously Roma and Lazio. I think it's more fun to do something new and exciting. I think this badge is a little basic, probably the weakest in the league. I'm also not a big fan of the kits, the away is the best of the three. A bit strange that all three are made by different manufacturers too.

BA CA Buenos Aires
I really like this badge and colour scheme. The adidas kits look good, the black third kit is my favourite. I don't know if I'm completely sold on the diagonal stripe though, I think it looks a little bit like a seatbelt. I know Buenos Aires has plenty of football teams as well but for some reason this branding still seems interesting to me. Maybe because it feels different enough from Boca/River Plate etc., maybe because I'm just more exposed to European clubs, or maybe because I'm just a hypocrite.

CFCat CF Catalunya
I don't mind this badge but I don't love it. The "Est. 2022" looks a little plastered on. The colour scheme obviously fits the theme of the region, but again I think it would be more interesting to make a team in a region that doesn't already have a Barcelona or to a lesser extent Espanyol. To that point I do like the home kit, it reminds me of the Barcelona Catalan kit, although I don't like the away kit.

HFC Hollywood FC
I quite like this badge which almost surprises me a little as it's not exactly the usual sort of thing I'd be in to. If the 5 stars represent 5 championships I am a fan of that though. The colour scheme is solid, I like the home kit. Once again the diagonal stripe makes an appearance on the away kit, it reminds me of the LA Galaxy so if that was intentional well done. I don't like the camo third kit. I think this is an inventive way to have an LA based team which usually I wouldn't be crazy about.

RKV Reykjavik United
One of my favourite brands in the league, I think the badge is great, the colour scheme is unique and the location is interesting while also being realistic. The nike home kit looks great but unfortunately the green clashes with the other colours on the away and third kits. I'd love to see a full black or white kit with just a splash of green. 

SFV Schwarzwalder
Another of my favourites for all the same reasons as Reykjavik. The adidas kits fit the theme very well and are easily the best in the league in my opinion. My only knock I guess is the name could be a bit of a mouthful for some, but it's not that bad.

TSC Tokyo SC
This team also has a solid badge with a unique colour scheme and interesting location. It's not my personal favourite but I can easily see how it would be many others. It's interesting that the kits use a different pink than the apricot sort of colour from the badge, but regardless I actually really like the home and away kits. I don't really like the third kit visually but I respect the message behind it.

USP Uniao Sau Paulo
This branding feels very realistic, probably because it's the same colour scheme as the real life Sau Paulo FC. Regardless the badge is very sharp, the kits are classic although the home strip needs a nike check on it so they are consistent.

I'm going to comment on the rest of the teams both in the minor league and academy as replies in this thread to keep things tidy. Since I wrote this article I realised that some teams have changed their kits for the new season so some of my comments on that may be out dated. Also since I wrote this article @Zerg has written their own article commenting on the branding of Swarzwalder and Montreal and I agree with absolutely everything said in it especially the gripe with clubs adding "United" for no reason.

I will comment on the rest of the team's branding in no particular order just whichever team I have some thoughts on at that time. And obviously this will be done week by week 200 words at a time lol. So to kick things off I might as well start with my own academy team;

VFE Victoria Falls Eagles
I might be slightly biased but I really like this branding. A team from Africa is a great inclusion in the the league, football is an extremely popular sport there. The colour scheme and mascot come from the flag of Zimbabwe which is a cool touch. The kits are clean especially the black home strip. Hopefully we can start to see some quality results on the pitch to match our quality branding.
[Image: zPxH3Kb.png]