Forum Clock: 2024-10-03 08:29 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tactic Wars: Schwarzwälder vs. Reykjavik
Picture a chessboard. On one side, we have Schwarzwälder Fußballverein, the S16 runners-up and the newest team in the SSL (Though I might be wrong but I think they were founded in S10). They came agonizingly close to winning back-to-back league titles, missing out by just 2 points. Despite that disappointment, their talent is undeniable, and their hunger for success is clear. But the question remains, can they cross the finish line and claim the title, or will they fall short once again?

Opposing them is Reykjavik United, the reigning champions with a legacy as rich as their trophy cabinet. Their dominance in the SSL is well-established, and they’ve built a reputation for consistent success. But this time they’re not just defending their title, they’re aiming to break the record for the most titles and cement their place as the league's greatest dynasty. The question is, can they fend off the challenge from Schwarzwälder Fußballverein and make history?

In this edition of Tactic Wars, we'll take a deep dive into the strategic battle between Schwarzwälder Fußballverein and Reykjavik United, identifying the key factors that could determine this season’s champions.

Schwarzwälder Fußballverein:

Let’s start with the challengers, Schwarzwälder Fußballverein. They utilize a highly unique attacking 3-4-2-1 formation(pictured in figure A), and when I say attacking, I mean it’s all about the offense. Their strategy features a three-man defensive core paired with offensive wingbacks, allowing them to overwhelm opponents with constant pressure and creative play. When they’re in possession, their libero moves into the deep midfield to link up with the two central midfielders, while the wingbacks push forward to carry the ball down the flanks. In attack, their formation resembles a 2-1-4-2-1(pictured in figure B), creating an offensive Christmas tree shape. This tactic is not only fun to watch, but in my experience with FM24, it’s extremely challenging to pull off successfully, making it all the more exciting to see Schwarzwälder thrive with it. However, this tactic does have its weaknesses. If another team can capitalize on offensive mistakes and focus on counterattacks down the flanks, Schwarzwälder could be “caught with their pants down. Overall, Schwarzwälder Fußballverein’s attacking tactic makes them a formidable opponent, but they must remain vigilant to avoid being exploited on the counter.

[Image: AD_4nXfuvevkicrHZsoqdTnXAV4x5ktnVL33wLLl...6pjE-cGpsw]                                   [Image: AD_4nXcSZh4D6ey-WnY0N9jtggV22NdoK9SgdGGg...6pjE-cGpsw]
                     (Figure A above)                                                                        (Figure B above)

Reykjavik United:

Now we move on to the reigning champions Reykjavik United. They play a 4-2-3-1(figure C) with a double pivot in the deep midfield, allowing them to adapt to various game situations while maintaining defensive stability. When they're in possession, their full-backs push high to provide width and deliver crosses to the center of the field, while the defensive midfielders orchestrate plays from deep, linking the defense to the attack. In the final third, the inside forwards and shadow striker create overloads in the box and exploit defensive gaps, making deep runs or positioning themselves for cutbacks, forcing the opposing defenders to either mark them tightly or risk leaving space for penetrating runners. If they lose the ball, the team is able to quickly regain possession with an aggressive press and a high defensive line. However, this tactic comes with risks. The high defensive line can be exposed by fast counter-attacks, and when facing ultra-defensive teams, they might struggle to break through, even with dominant possession. Despite these potential flaws, Reykjavik’s tactic is one of the most fundamentally sound in the league and is likely to deliver consistent results.

[Image: AD_4nXdHkNjg2QmMUb7dtNJZoKqc9WAPFoRLHhMB...6pjE-cGpsw]
                    (Figure C above)

The Head to Head:

Picking a winner between these two tactics is tough, but ultimately, I think it comes down to a battle of attrition. Both are so strong defensively that it's hard to imagine either side breaking through easily, making small mistakes, set pieces, or moments of individual brilliance likely to decide the game. The team that can stay disciplined and capitalize on rare chances will have the advantage. In the end, the match will hinge on who makes fewer errors and adapts better as the game progresses. If I had to choose, I’d go with Schwarzwälder Fußballverein. I love their tactic, it’s creative and unique, making it extremely difficult for opponents to gameplan against.

Football Manager’s Prediction:

At the end of the day, I can say whatever I want, but the real test is Football Manager. So, I decided to put these tactics to the test. I used the same method as in my previous article but made a few adjustments to pit Reykjavik’s tactic against Schwarzwälder’s tactic in 100 matches. Here are the results.
(For reference, “The Best AI 4-2-3-1” represents Reykjavik’s tactic, while “Team B” represents Schwarzwälder’s tactic.)

[Image: AD_4nXfHeKnD3xWy49EOz7a3sadTy5GYKjXEyLFS...6pjE-cGpsw]
[Image: AD_4nXdU0x-BnZqXlJvV582WIZ4F5e1mvwxufEPv...6pjE-cGpsw]

Looking at these results, it's clear that FM24 favors Reykjavik’s tactic over Schwarzwälder’s, as indicated by its 68% win rate. However, it’s important to note that this simulation used equal players rather than the actual team rosters. In reality, individual player strengths will significantly influence the effectiveness of each tactic and play a crucial role in determining this season’s champion. Ultimately, the true outcome will depend on how well each team can adapt their strategies to leverage their unique strengths throughout the season.

Conclusions:

So why did I do this, well obviously for the TPE. Anyways thanks for reading and make sure to like and subscribe ;]