Forum Clock: 2024-07-06 09:46 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things I wish I knew before being a manager part 1
TLDR: No King rules alone. No plan operates alone.

Welcome to Part 1 of "Things I wish I knew before being a manager". This is a weekly media thing I am doing for well, to be honest, media TPE. There are a few things I do want to talk about however and well heres the time. This week is titled simply "don't make plans make options". If you have any suggestions or ideas don't be afraid to give them.

So the problem about making plans specifically is that they always go wrong. Not completely wrong but something about them always doesn't go the way you "planned for it to go". While this might seem common sense it goes a bit deeper than that. See when you have a "plan" you then plan for things down the road of that plan. this takes into the assumption naturally that things will go "according to plan", which we have covered never happens. It also carries an emotional hit that isn't necessary when the "plan" doesn't go the way you want as with all the time and energy into something that is now not going to exist anymore. The last thing that is conducive to planning and reacting to things changing is to enter them emotionally lesser than you were before.

What the mentality should be however I now know is to create options or contingencies instead. Being reactive to events seems conventionally the wrong choice but remember you are pre-planning your reactions. Along with having the space from the events that cause divergence from the plan you also get a lot of ability to organize your thoughts and reactions so that you are prepared.

As I will cover later in my media about horizontal drafting laying the options to take on a spreadsheet creates a simple but dynamic problem-solving dynamic. You no longer have to waste time and emotion trying to figure out what to do in the now but are able to toss away events that might have been but also are able to identify paths that may only come to you later.

I will do horizontal drafting next week in example and explain this more but for now I will bid you all farewell for now.