Forum Clock: 2024-09-08 23:42 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer Off To Hot Start in Rookie Season
It’s been a surprising start to the Simulation Soccer League Division 2 season for rookie Kevin Zimmer.

The midfielder for F.C. Kaapstad has a goal and an assist through two matches, factoring into two of Kaapstad’s three goals thus far. It’s been an impressive debut for the rookie from the United States.

“Certainly, you hope to join a club and have an immediate positive impact,” said Zimmer. “It’s been a huge boost of confidence to get on the stat sheet straight away, and I hope I can continue to do so.”

Despite the early production, Zimmer’s playing time could be touch and go for Kaapstad early on. With eyes on promotion, Kaapstad brought in experienced players such as Usada Pekora in the offseason.

Still, Zimmer provided a boost off the bench in Kaapstad’s second match, a 3-1 loss to CA Buenos Aires, by scoring less than 15 seconds after being inserted into the contest from 20 yards out.

“I think it probably helps, in a strange way, having that depth at the position,” said Zimmer. “Could I get more playing time at another club? Maybe. But there’s also less burden while learning how to compete at this level to be rock solid for 90 minutes with the current arrangement.

“That’s not to say I can just go out there and play with my brain turned off, of course, but it’s a lot more about being a spark when the team needs it while learning from these other players who have been at this level for longer than I have.”

There will be work to do for the club to achieve its goals, however. After a draw and a loss, Kaapstad sits last on the six-team Division 2 table.

“Obviously, as a team, we’re not happy with the results so far,” said Zimmer. “It’s on us to dig down, turn this around, and finish the season respectably. There’s still time, but it’s on us to make it happen.”