Forum Clock: 2024-08-02 05:22 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S6 THEME WEEK — Cuco Clemente
I first got into sim leagues via the ISFL, which is where I know a lot of you from. I got hooked kind of immediately, including the idea of creating this “player character” with a wiki article and a backstory and such. Well, my player happens to be a safety. Through one thing and another as I got to know the league, users, and players, I found out that one of the veteran safeties for the Sarasota Sailfish, Cuco Clemente, was approximately the greatest ISFL safety of all time.

As I fleshed out my player character more and wrote some media and “in-character” interviews, I hit on this idea that my player really idolized Cuco Clemente in high school and college as he was working his way up to the pros. At that time I didn’t quite totally get the sometimes-blurry lines between “player” and “user,” so in a way I was adding an element to Cuco (as this kind of mentor/role model for my player) that wasn’t necessarily there, without asking permission. It was, in hindsight, a faux pas.

Some people might object to a sim league noob hijacking an element of their character like that, but Cuco’s user Billybolo53 was super super cool about it. I still haven’t even gotten to know Billy very much, but he was chill about me adapting Cuco into my player’s story, and even played along; he gave my player Spike Daniels a shout-out in a tweet after he was drafted to Sarasota.

So that’s the story of how my player character idolized the Cuco Clemente player character, and how much I appreciated Billybolo53 playing along with it and welcoming me to the league. The sim league community by and large consists of really great people, and I think this is a great example of a small gesture that take many a lot to me as someone still very new to all of it.