Forum Clock: 2024-09-08 21:59 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patience the Most Valuable Lesson for Zimmer
A rookie season for any athlete is full of learning experiences. For Kevin Zimmer, the biggest lesson has arguably come away from the pitch.

Yes, the American has learned plenty in training with F.C. Kaapstad during his first professional season, as the club battles in hopes of promotion to Division I of the Simulation Soccer League. However, his time in the lineup has been limited.

This has probably taught him an equally valuable skill – patience.

“Certainly, this was always a possibility going pro, right?” says Zimmer. “You have to earn your keep against some of the best players in the world, it’s not going to come easy.”

The last time we saw Zimmer on the field was November 27, in a 1-0 victory over Seoul MFC. His last 90-minute effort came in the SSL Cup against Hollywood FC in October. F.C. Kaapstad has played three matches since, with wins against Inter London and CA Buenos Aires.

“As a competitor, you feel like you can contribute right away and wish you were on the pitch more, that’s just human nature,” he adds. “But the results have been there, you can’t really kick up a fuss, right?”

So what happens next for Zimmer? Will he see the pitch during Kaapstad’s final two matches of the season, now in a spot of desperation to make promotion after a loss to Paris last time out?

“That’s for the coaches to decide. All I can do is work as hard as I can to impress them, and opportunity will come. It’s the same for all of us rookies.

“People ask if it’s demotivating … if anything, it motivates me more. I didn’t take this chance on my career to roll over and die now. I just have to keep working and improving and when the time is right, I’ll get my chance.”