Forum Clock: 2024-08-03 07:37 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On international soccer
Not doing a pp this week I'm really busy this weekend. It's world cup season so I'm going to talk about the differences between club football and international football.

Back when international football was started with FIFA the game was completely amature. No one was (suppose to be) getting paid and it was probably more of an effort to keep an orthodoxy in the rules. It was too late to keep the same name for the world (it's kickball in Italy for example) but it was enough to stop the splintering of the ruleset.

What it means to each player is that the best for their country in the world has two different teams. It may mean more to the players to play for their country but they will always make more money with and spend more time with their club.

Even if national teams are essentially all-star teams for their country they will always be worse than club teams. It's not a controversial statement that a PSG or a Barca would defeat teams like Germany, Argentina, or brazil. Yes, they would have to figure out what to do about a player playing for both but you know what I mean.

What this means for you as a player is focusing on being the best player you can be. Even if sometimes it's not what is best for your club. Messi and Ronaldo are two of the greatest to play the game but at least one of them will retire without ever having won a world cup.

What this means for you as a manager is little different than what you do on the day for match selection. You are paid to win games. You are paid to go out with the team that you have and do the best you can with what you have. You take this same view and use it for forming a world cup squad.

Lionel Messi is the best attacking midfielder in the world atm, thats not an argument. He's not fast enough to score. I don't care if he's the best winger or best striker on your team he is old now and has regressed to being an Argentinian Enclange like Maradona of old. Put skill and vision as your playmaker, and put speed and composure as your strikers.

Christian pulisic is being frozen out at Chelsea for ... reasons but in the few minutes he's gotten he has been electric in and he's been allowed to heal up from previous CONCACAF activities. You don't overthink things. On the same topic, no one should be surprised by Tim ream. Yes, he's a 35-year-old on the second youngest team in the world cup and you care fare more about the world cup in four years. But you lost your starting center back and you need the best player on the field on the day it matters most. No one is playing at a higher level at a higher level of difficulty.

These are picks that go against the kind of statistics-based evaluations that you would be well inclined to follow on a macro level. As a manager of a club, you have longer-term considerations than just this game in front of you but you need to focus on the game in front of you when the game in front of you is what matters most right now.