Forum Clock: 2024-09-09 00:15 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, Jude #1: Local Talent to Shine on SSL Stage
NASHVILLE, Tennessee -- The bright lights of the world’s premier soccer league may soon shine upon local talent Jude Greer, but he’s not about to let that get to his head.

“I just want to play,” Greer said Monday, in the midst of a solo training session on a high school soccer field near his home. “Don’t care for who, don’t care where. I want to get out on the pitch and show what I’ve got.”

A small crowd of onlookers gathered to watch Greer and two of his college coaches run through quickness, crossing and shooting drills. The audience, many of them locals and more than a few who have known Greer for many years, pressed against the fence to get a look at the young man before his departure for pastures new.

Greer is a late entry into the prospect draft pool for the Simulation Soccer League’s upcoming twelfth season. Prior to the draft, he will meet up in Sweden with Stockholm Idrottsklubb, one of the SSL’s four academy teams designed to give prospects a chance to get used to life in the SSL and perform in front of scouts. Greer will train there with other hopefuls and partake in a handful of matches, in an effort to sell his talents to the league’s decision-makers and hopefully earn a contract with an SSL club.

“I’ve never been outside the States before, so this is all really new,” Greer said. “I don’t know where I’ll end up, or if I’ll even get drafted, but all I can do is give it my best shot.”

Greer was a crucial piece in Sewanee University’s seemingly miraculous run in the recent NCAA Division III soccer tournament. Greer’s defensive nous, crossing ability and wily movement in the attacking third helped the Tigers to their first-ever national championship, defeating Amherst College 2-0 thanks in part to an assist by Greer.

Greer said he hopes his versatility, allowing him to play in both defense and attack, will be of great benefit to whichever SSL team takes a chance on him.

“My coaches always said I make a good ramm…uh, I never really remember how to pronounce it,” Greer said, idly playing keepy-uppies with a soccer ball as he spoke. “That thing Thomas Müller made up. Ram-dooter? Rom-dotter?”

“Raumdeuter,” one coach offered.

“Yeah, that,” Greer replied, his face painted with his trademark goofy grin. “They said I make a great raumdeuter. And it’s fun scoring goals and all, sure. But I really like playing fullback, too. I don’t have to score goals as long as I’m helping my team. Heck, I can do both if I need to.”

It remains to be seen where or even if Greer will be selected when draft day comes, but if the Nashville native is nervous, he’s not showing it.

“If it happens, it happens,” he said, still juggling the ball with his feet. “And if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. People get signed as free agents after the draft all the time, so somebody’ll come calling. Probably. Right?”

As he said this, Greer kicked the ball high into the air, then struck the ball on the volley as it came down. The ball flew toward the nearby goal, bouncing off the inside of the far post before rippling the back of the net. The gathered onlookers burst into applause as Greer flashed them another sheepish grin.

Though few can say where Greer’s future lies, it’s clear he’ll be going there in style.

(581 words)
[Image: f3PLeZn.png]