Forum Clock: 2024-07-03 20:08 PDT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jailbird - A Vercetti story - Chapter 7 Words - 364
Squall's eyes looked up and down as he tried to get a proper thought about what was in front of him. A huge bell with some ropes tied to it. He rubbed his chin, thinking about it while the rest of his team gathered nearby, presumably doing some sort of media ad. He heard the Japanese people loved advertisement pieces like that, stuff that made them feel special. He himself felt he couldn't really argue with the thoughts but he wasn't entirely sure on how to behave.

Rup: Hey, Squall! Are you done making your wish yet?
Vercetti: I don't think this is a restaurant...
Rup: Well, I mean... yes, it isn't. This is a shrine. You're supposed to make a wish and then ring that bell three times. You then need to pray for it.
Vercetti: I don't think this is a Catholic church.
Rup: You're a Catholic? Didn't expect that.
Vercetti: Well... I probably have my reasons to just doubt everything but... yeah, I am. Still, I'm pretty sure most people in Japan don't and they wouldn't take kindly to me praying.
Rup: Uh...
Vercetti: I'm messing with you. I'll do it.

What followed was silence. He made his wish before ringing the bell in a calm enough fashion, nothing too forceful or showboating. Squall then held his hands together, praying in silence before moving off from the front of the bell.

Rup: Hey, what did you wish?
Vercetti: Ain't it a secret?
Rup: Well... maybe.
Vercetti: It ain't a big deal, anyways. I didn't wish anything for the team, anyways.

Squall smirked, showing his evergrowing confidence off, likely in light of the team's latest efforts.

Vercetti: I think we'll get success on our own, no need to rely on powers above.
Rup: Heh. And here I wished for a-
Vercetti: If it's about the waitress from the other day, she's already married, quit it before you end up with a black eye or worse.
Rup: O-Oi, that's not what I wished for, who do you peg me for, man?
Vercetti: Someone very impressionable.

Amidst his teammate's protests, Squall gave an outsider's glance to the bell, sighing.

Vercetti: Hope the orphanage's still kicking.

He then left in silence, hands inside his pockets. He couldn't help but feel something was off... and he was right.